Prep Football: Week Three
By: Warren Mayes
Week three of the high school football season features a big rivalry showcase game among two West County teams.
It’s early but it’s time for the annual meeting of the Marquette Mustangs and the Lafayette Lancers. The two Suburban West Conference squads meet at 7 p.m. on Sept. 7.
The game usually is played near at the end of the season, but this year with the new playoff system it is not.
In the old format, the final three games of the season determined if a team advanced to the playoffs.
This year, the Missouri State High School Activities Association made a change and the format includes a nine-game regular season, with teams earning points for outcomes. A win is worth 20 points, a loss 10 points and an overtime loss 15 points. Points are also awarded for each class playing up, strength of schedule and plus/minus 13 points for point differentials in each game. Those points will be added up and used to seed schools into eight-team districts grouped to begin play in Week 10.
The Lancers are ranked. No. 5 in the recent Class 6 Missouri state poll.
Both teams opened the season with league victories – Marquette defeated Oakville 10-9 while Lafayette thumped Eureka 35-14 in Suburban West Conference games.
Last season, the Lancers scored a 41-7 victory over the Mustangs at Marquette. The Mustangs won at Lafayette two years ago 35-24.
Here are the other games and kickoff times scheduled for Sept. 7:
• Priory at John Burroughs, 4:30 p.m.
• Parkway West at Kirkwood, 7 p.m.
• Seckman at Parkway Central, 7 p.m.
• Summit at Parkway North, 7 p.m.
• Eureka at Mehlville, 7 p.m.
• Francis Howell Central at Parkway South, 7 p.m.
• Marquette at Lafayette, 7 p.m.
• SLUH at CBC, 7 p.m.
• Kennedy at O’Fallon Christian, 7 p.m.
• Van-Far vs. Principia, 7 p.m.
• Fort Zumwalt West at Chaminade, 7 p.m.
• Vianney at De Smet, 7 p.m.
Here are the games and kickoff times scheduled for Sept. 8:
• Lutheran South at MICDS, 1 p.m.
• Westminster Christian Academy at Lutheran North, 2 p.m.